The Museum’s lease on the Old Steading ends in 2018 and can not be renewed. The building has anyway now become too small for our needs.
The AAOR (Anti-Aircraft Operations Room) is a huge concrete structure built about 1950 to control Cold War air defence, one of four in Scotland. It has recently been a Council Roads Depot. Will it be our new Museum?
In spite of its appearance, the AAOR is an ideal solution to the Museum’s future.
• It has a central position in Gairloch.
• It has plenty of car parking.
• Its interior has plenty of space, arranged as a central atrium and rooms circling it on two floors.
• It is a historic building in itself.
It needs some imagination to see it transformed from an eyesore into an attraction! — think windows, paint, porch, plants, a roundhouse
reconstruction next to it...
The ambition is to set up an important cultural centre for Gairloch and the central part of Wester Ross, more than just a Museum. It will be possible to house the large Museum collection properly, to interpret the rich history of the area, to present the nature of this National Scenic Area, to allow access to archives for research, to house other local organisations, to
accommodate exhibitions, to include a cafe and a shop, etc.
This is a very challenging project for a community of our size to undertake, and we are working to our utmost to secure grants from the Heritage Lottery Fund and a number of other trusts. The Highland Council and Highlands and Islands Enterprise (HIE) have both shown considerable commitment to our cause. We also hope to raise locally 10% of the total project cost of nearly £2 million.
At the same time, Gairloch and District Heritage Company is seeking and welcomes all expressions of support or offers of partnership from organisations
• Museums around Scotland and especially in the Highlands.
• Heritage bodies in fields such as archaeology, natural history, fisheries, crofting, local history.
• Educational bodies, especially UHI and local schools.
• Gaelic language and culture.
• Local community bodies.
• Tourism organisations which promote the area or would benefit from a new major attraction.
Gairloch Heritage Museum : Achtercairn • Gairloch • Ross-shire • IV21 2BP • UK
Curator : Dr. Karen Buchanan (Thompson)
tel : 01445 712287
email : firstname.lastname@example.org
Gairloch Heritage Museum is operated by Gairloch & District Heritage Company Ltd which is run by volunteers and is a registered charity no. SC010249